[plug] Adding memory to Linux systems

Phil Steege psteege at tpg.com.au
Tue Jul 24 19:54:25 WST 2001

I have 256Mb working now.
I had purchased two memory sticks.  One 256mb and one 128mb.
The 256mb stick is shot.  It was the first one I added and initially the
system showed 384mb in the BIOS on bootup, but it did not run correctly.  KDE
came up, but the sound card started a single non-stop tone and other crazy
things were happening.  I rebooted but that was when fsck would not pass.
I eventually tried the other 128mb stick and it came right up, and that is
what I am operating on now.  Here is the output from my "free" command:

               total          used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        255576     199468   56108          0       8952     130604
-/+ buffers/cache:      59912     195664
Swap:       265032          0     265032

As someone told me earlier, it should be easy.  Well, it was once I got the
"working" memory stick in there.

Thanks to everyone
Phil