[plug] OT: Advocating Linux Was: OT: Computers for East Timor

Jacqueline McNally jacqueline at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Fri Jul 27 09:30:40 WST 2001

Please don't forget Computer Angels in Perth:
http://www.ca.asn.au/

Computer Angels advocate and use GNU/Linux and provide printed manuals and
training to individuals and organisations in need of a computer.

I was recently contacted to locate computers for solicitors setting up
legal centres in East Timor. ( http://www.dcls.org.au/etimor )

Although their wish list was geared toward mainstream computer systems, I
provided the solicitor in Darwin with information wrt Linux, and the groups
that may be able to best assist. Through Computer Bank email contacts in
Sydney and Melbourne, to people configuring and implementing computers at
Dili University, and Computer Angels in Perth this may happen.

Computer Angels, like most volunteer groups, always need donations "in
kind", time and expertise. I am sure there are many joint projects in which
Pluggers and Computer Angels could be involved, particularly along the
lines of awareness and advocacy. For example, our state govt to consider
using Linux as the NT govt has done.

I am sure that if you contacted Computer Angels and let them know that you
had some computer hardware that was superfluous to your requirements that
they would be able to arrange collection. Perhaps not in a Lotteries
Commission van, but by enthusiastic volunteer s that advocate the use of Linux.

All the best
Jacqueline