[plug] X turned ugly. locale issues...?

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sun Jul 29 03:29:00 WST 2001

List,

Last night I installed LyX, and to do so it required I install libforms,
so I downloaded the deb packages (Debian 2.2 system) and installed them at
about 1am last nigth. LyX works brilliantly. That was the last thing I
ever recall doing as root. Thing were going fine most of the day through
normal use, until around 12:50am tonight things started screwing up.

Almost every X program I load now complains:

--
Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C

Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers
--

Netscape 6.0 refuses to start now entirely, spewing:

--
current locale is not supported in X11, locale is set to CX locale
modifiers are not supported, using defaultWarning: Cannot convert string
"<Key>Escape,_Key_Cancel" to type VirtualBinding
.
.
.
Warning: Cannot convert string "Alt<Key>Return,Alt_Key_KP_Enter" to type
VirtualBinding
# # An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outside the
VM.# Program counter=0x408fba4c
#
# Problematic Thread: prio=1 tid=0x80545f0 nid=0x1629 runnable
#
INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not read ack from browser
System error?:: Resource temporarily unavailable
--

The clipboard no longer works fully - I used to be able to select from
some programs, eg Mozilla and paste into gNotepad, and no longer can. Most

Any ideas as to why this is suddenly occuring? Internet searches has not
turned up anything specific or relevant. I suspect it's such a general
error message, I recall seeing it every now and again in the past.

Thanks in advance,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham