[plug] FTP connections

Paul Dean paul at canningcollege.wa.edu.au
Mon Jul 30 09:55:41 WST 2001

Hya all,

I've come across a problem, bizarre at the least I'd say, but just plain
flipping annoying.
Anyway, this is the situation;

Server "Cave" running RH 7.0 standard daemons and updates latest RH 2.2
kernel blah blah, wu-ftpd running through xinetd, ftp module loaded (not
that I need this for internal connections) ipchains with MASQ as only rule.
Workstation "Rock" running RH 7.0 standard daemons and updates latest RH
2.2 kernel blah blah, wu-ftpd running through xinetd.
Workstation "Stone" running W2K SP2 connecting as Domain logon thru Samba
as PDC.

Ok here's what happens;
ftp Rock -> Cave connects and transfers no probs
ftp Cave -> Rock connects and transfers no probs
ftp Stone -> Cave connects and transfers no probs
ftp Stone -> Rock resolves name and ip but sits there no response.

I've tried telnet 21 to Rock from Stone same thing no banner.
Tried tracert from Stone to make sure I'm goning to the right machine.
Done tcpdump on eth0 to look for anything strange (although I'm new at tcp
packets and what they look like.)
Checked /var/log/messages and /var/log/xfer no logs
Checked /etc/hosts.allow and .deny make sure Stone is allowed, even tried
with empty files.
Reinstalled anonftp just incase something broken.
Re-enabled wu-ftpd
Restarted xinetd.
Restarted network.
Used W2K FTP command and Ncftp for Windows.
Finally restarted all machines (due to some twit driving a dump truck down
the road with tray UP and pulling powerlines down)...

All of these seems to be fine with nothing out of the ordinary.

So as you can see looked lots of places, done lots of things but hey maybe
I'm missing something.
Could you guys (people, for political correctness.) share your thoughts,
ideas and experiences.

TIA :-]

/***** Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a
mistake when you make it again.