[plug] strange problem with booting

Sacha Schlegel sacha at schlegel.li
Tue Jul 31 03:42:06 WST 2001

Hi Jason
On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 12:39:11 Jason Nicholls wrote:
> Hey People,
>
> I just attempted to upgrade an existing linux box from a P 233mmx -> K6-2
> 550Mhz. Everything else stayed the same.
>
> I can boot to DOS and windows fine but when trying to boot linux it'll get
> stuck on the line:
>
> 	Checking 'hlt' instruction

I once had a problem with my notebook when I added RAM. When I booted
the memory was still about 64M instead of 144M. The motherboard did not
return the right amount of memory so I had to add a line to
/etc/lilo.conf:

append="mem=140M"

When I changed the content to the real 144M I got an error on booting as
well.

Maybe this is completely off your problem. Otherwise try to boot from a
boot disk and run lilo to update the necessary files for booting.

I hope this helps.

Sacha

> It happens with 2.2.x and 2.4.x kernels and I'd try with 2.0.x but don't
> have a boot disk.
>
> The motherboard is an AT style Shuttle HOT 591P (uses VIA MPV3). Note the
> other motherboard where the CPU worked fine with linux was a ATX AOpen
AX59Pro
> (also VIA MPV3). Both motherboards have the very latest bios and support the
> CPU. And, the Shuttle board works fine with linux when using the P233mmx
CPU.