[plug] WASP new dialup phone number problem

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Tue Jul 31 09:56:52 WST 2001

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Sacha Schlegel wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> Does anyone experience problems with the new dialup number from WASP.
> The number is: 62652400 which is a new local Perth number.
>
> My linux server, debian 2.2r3 which acts as dial-up, gateway, nat,
> firewall, proxy uses wvdial (which uses pppd) to connect to the ISP.

<snip>

> I called the helpdesk at 9433 2344 but they told me just Win and Mac are
> supported! I got the account via "WA Linux Services". The old number
> works fine with the actual configuration.
>
> Has anybody an idea?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Sacha Schlegel

After WASP ignoring messages to support at wasp.net.au (neither acknowledgement
nor response, after 2 days, from an address that is supposed to be monitored 24
hours a day), and, a web site that uses javascript, which excludes the use of
most of the basic Linux browsers, it appears to me, that WASP has fallen in a
heap, like iinet; and, is almost as bad as iinet. It is unfortunate, that WASP
has this thing against Linux. The WASP website had stated that only Windows and
Mac's are supported by WASP.

However, WASP has not yet knowingly spread viruses, and has not knowingly
allowed customer's email accounts to be breached, by unauthorised people using
them to send abuse messages, as iinet has done, in the last week. And, messages
to abuse at iinet.net.au, get ignored. Viral messages are still knowingly being
sent by iinet, four having been received this morning.

It appears that we are stuck with crappy ISP's, here in the remote west.

Are there any Linux-friendly ISP's in Perth?

Bret Busby