[plug] strange problem with booting

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Tue Jul 31 12:19:51 WST 2001

Hey People,

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 06:39:11PM +0800, Jason Nicholls wrote:
> I just attempted to upgrade an existing linux box from a P 233mmx -> K6-2
> 550Mhz. Everything else stayed the same.
>
> I can boot to DOS and windows fine but when trying to boot linux it'll get
> stuck on the line:
>
> 	Checking 'hlt' instruction
>
> It happens with 2.2.x and 2.4.x kernels and I'd try with 2.0.x but don't
> have a boot disk.
<snip>

Well it appears it may be a hardware thing. I can't get the box to work at
anything over 400Mhz. Either it gets stuck on the 'hlt' instruction or a
kernel panic. Rather strange since it works fine at 500Mhz in the other box
(can't go higher because of power requirements the motherboard doesn't
support).

BTW, a way to avoid the 'hlt' instruction test is to pass the argument
"no-hlt" on the lilo boot prompt. In my situation that only allowed me to
progress a little further before something else went wrong, like a kernel
panic.

Later,

Jason Nicholls