[plug] Apache

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Fri Jun 1 11:48:23 WST 2001

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 11:32:58AM +0800, WFerrara at vicpark.wa.gov.au wrote:
> Hello, Each!
>
> Can you guys stop scaring me (a Linux newbie) and convince me that a Linux
> firewall I want to install is going to be secure?

You want us to lie?

Firewalls don't make things secure.   When properly configured by
someone who knows what they are doing and understands the issues, they
minimise certain security risks.  They help a lot but they're nowhere
near a panacea.

Anyone who says to you "We use [SSL|SSH|OpenBSD|Firewalls|<insert any
security technology you care to mention] so that means we're secure" is
either lying to you or doesn't understand security at all.

--
DSA 0x0EC1D28C: BBCB 0D79 4EBB 078A A066  7267 8BED E9D6 0EC1 D28C