[plug] opinions on linux distros to use in an internet server box

Adam Davin blade_badger at bigfoot.com
Sun Jun 3 19:57:41 WST 2001

I used Turbo Linux for a weekend as it was the only distribution cd other
than Redhat that I had on hand at the time.

The initial install went quite well the ppp connection (from memory) was
reasonably automated. The box worked as the gateway that it was meant to
be.

However problems started to arise when I tried to install a program ( can't
remember which one ) one of the servers i think apache or squid, something
that wasn't on the cd.

Since it used RPMS I ripped out my redhat cd and went looking and found the
relevant program rpm but was unable to install it due to incorrect versions
of programs. Trying to do the right thing I then went to the Turbo linux
website to try to get the rpm's that I needed. Funnily enough, Turbo linux
website worked ok but ftp (ftp.turbolinux.com) was dead as  a dodo... and
stayed this way for as long as I cared to wait ( a good couple of days).

Using the force command with rpm I forced necessary rpms onto the system
but not everything was quite right. Hence after using the gateway ( as a
stable connection although slow) I installed debian on my
server/workstation and then formatted and installed debian on the gateway
and have never looked back.

Just my 2 cents worth

Chow

Adam Davin