[plug] Slow proxy

Kevin Shackleton kevins at wn.com.au
Fri Jun 8 07:23:58 WST 2001

I set up a proxy server with RH6.2 (it had 16 MB RAM and RH7.1 needs
more to install).  In the setup process it didn't detect the NE2000
card, so I added a couple of lines to conf.modules and it now works.

However, it's running very slow as a proxy server.  I recall a few weeks
(?) ago there was a thread about if the default route was properly set
up, with a couple of examples of what the routing table looked like on a
working proxy server.  Of course I can't recall the subject and can't
see the thread (we've had a lot on ADSL lately eh).  I suspect my
problem is something that the automatic network setup does that I
haven't done by stuffing config files manually (yes - I have done
resolv.conf!).

btw this is the fourth proxy server I've set up in the last few weeks,
for local businesses.  The local shop has been straight Microsoft -
that's ok for schools, who get the stuff basically free, but businesses
aren't going to pay around $4k for a proxy server (NT included).  So the
shop's going Linux - good pocket money for me.

K.