[plug] Sendmail mail to MS Exchange

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Fri Jun 8 15:43:07 WST 2001

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 07:32:18AM +0800, Mark Nold wrote:

> What would i need for this to work?
>
> Just doing a
>
> echo "Hello There" | sendmail mark.nold at exchangeserver
>
> (or modify the aliases and then send a mail to that user)
>
> gets me a Connection Refused by exchangeserver
>
> My understanding is that sendmail doesn't do IMAP... or am i missing
> something really trivial here?

I don't know anything about Exchange but you can't send email with IMAP.
IMAP for clients to access already-delivered email stored on a server.
Sendmail doesn't do IMAP because sendmail is for delivering email.
There are IMAP servers (and clients) for Linux but that's not what
you're looking for here.

Can you telnet to the smtp port (25) on the Exchange server from the
Linux box?  Based on the message above it looks like the Exchange server
isn't listening on port 25 or maybe there's some sort of firewall
blocking access.  (Remember, I know *nothing* about Exchange.)

--
DSA 0x0EC1D28C: BBCB 0D79 4EBB 078A A066  7267 8BED E9D6 0EC1 D28C