[plug] dialup not working

Kevin Shackleton kevins at wn.com.au
Sat Jun 9 21:03:48 WST 2001

Jon Miller wrote:

> We are having a problem with dialing into a Debian system.  Viewing the log and debug we can see the user login, but within a second it drops the user.  There is a message stating "Could not determine local IP address".

My "Using and Managing PPP" talks about Proxy ARP as the usual mechanism
for assigning an IP address for a dial-in client.

The normal process is supposed to be:
 mgetty monitors & responds to incoming calls.
/etc/default/mgetty.config sets up /sbin/mgetty.
 pppd handles ppp for dial-in and dial out.  Configure in
/etc/ppp/options plus ~/.ppprc for each user.

According to the book, .ppprc will contain (from 14th line):
 # IP Control Protocol (IPCP) options
 # local:remote IP address assignment
 172.16.1.252:172.16.1.1
 # Establish proxy ARP table entry