[plug] (OT) RSI?

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Mon Jun 11 08:28:24 WST 2001

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 07:19:19PM +0800, Andrew Francis wrote:

> This is offtopic and I'm probably just being paranoid, however I'm getting
> rather anxious so I figured I'd ask... is anyone listening particularly
> familiar with the symptoms of RSI?
> Has anyone had experience with relatively *minor* wrist pains, or RSI in
> general? Am I risking my health significantly by putting in 10 hours of
> study/writing betwen now and visiting the GP?
> And as a result of this little scare, I think I'm going to try and improve
> my ergonomics..
> Any ideas or feedback anyone might have to offer would be appreciated.

I'm not a doctor (yet! *grin*) and I know very little about RSI but I'm
sure it would be a good idea to speak to your GP just to be on the safe
side.  I doubt the 10 hours would really matter but, of course, I don't
know anything more than you. :-)  Having said that, this is a Linux list
so here's my suggestion...  There is a great little program called
xwrits (intentionally mispelled).  It runs in the background and
periodically reminds you to take a break from typing.  It's highly
configurable and I've found it really useful.  I don't have a problem
with my wrists but my eyes get really terrible after looking at the
screen for too long.  Without xwrits I'd probably be well on my way to
being blind by now.

--
DSA 0x0EC1D28C: BBCB 0D79 4EBB 078A A066  7267 8BED E9D6 0EC1 D28C