[plug] linux only system - need advice

Simon Scott simon.scott at flexiplan.com
Wed Jun 13 09:43:18 WST 2001

	Has anyone tried Kivio (I think its called)????

	Part of Koffice I believe. And since its KDE its probably a complete
rip.

	From:	psteege at tpg.com.au on 09-06-2001 07:30 PM
	Please respond to plug at plug.linux.org.au@SMTP at Exchange
	To:	plug at plug.linux.org.au@SMTP at Exchange
	cc:

	Subject:	Re: [plug] linux only system - need advice

	> On Sat, 9 Jun 2001, itmail wrote:
	> > Firstly my printer - Epson Stylus Colour 580 ***USB ONLY*** (I
	wasn't
	> > thinking straight when I bought this) how do I use this?
(current
	kernel is
	> > 2.2.18 but I will upgrade to SuSE 7.2 and kernel 2.4.4 as soon
as
	this is
	> > released) how do I use this? if at all possible?
	>
	> http://www.linuxprinting.org/ leads you to
	> http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=607474 which
	says the
	> printer is "partially" supported (ie it's not that great)... Could

	be
	> worth selling it off. Before getting another, check
	linuxprinting.org

	> > DIgital Camera - I have a Kodak DC 3200, is it possible to use
	this through
	> > the connection supplied (serial cable) or do I need to buy a
	Compact Flash
	> > Card reader? Im thinking of doing this anyway but a temporary
	solution would
	> > mean I could kill windows sooner
	>
	> Easy! gphoto. @ www.gphoto.net supports it.
	>
	> > As for applications, does anyone know of any Linux Equivilents
	Visio and
	> > Powerpoint (im sure something compatible with powerpoint is
	available I am
	> > however a bit more scepticle about visio)
	>
	> Been previously mentioned by others.
	> Also KPresenter, part of KOffice is around. I've never used it so
	can't
	> recommend it disapprove it.

	StarOffice handles Powerpoint *.pps files with no problems.  I do
not
	know about Visio.  Possibly dia will read them.

	> Regards,
	>
	> Bernard.
	>
	> --
	>  Bernard Blackham