[plug] Linux NFS client to Solaris HSM NFS server

Raven ian.kent at pobox.com
Thu Jun 14 20:23:15 WST 2001

Simon Scott wrote:

>         I would guess that the solaris version of the nfs client has been
> hacked to implement this 'blocking', and the linux version hasnt. Probably
> you will find that there is no such thing as 'blocking' under NFS but they
> had to implement it to avoid time-outs etc..

Hacked? That's a strange way to describe support for large scale data management
systems.

I have had a response from a Sun engineer (on the Linux NFS list) which said
that the Solaris client waits and then retries after recieving an
NFS3ERR_JUKEBOX from the server. This error code is present in the standard
include files shiped with Solaris.

>         I guess you could change the client yourself to grab that error,
> print the message, and try again. Perhaps someone has had the same problem
> and already has a patch?

Not out of the question, but that would mean becoming familiar with the Linux
NFS code base. No small task that one.

>         Is anyone here familiar with the nfs client source?

Yes, there are several people on the Linux NFS list, to which this message has
also been posted.

It would be great if someone on this list was able to help also.

--
   ,-._|\    Ian Kent
  /      \   Perth, Western Australia
  *_.--._/   E-mail: ian.kent at pobox.com, raven at plug.linux.org.au