[plug] Linux backup programs

Andrew Francis locust at iinet.net.au
Sat Jun 16 00:17:40 WST 2001

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Travis Read wrote:
> Doesn't RAID 1 require me to re-format and re-install frig'n
> everything from scratch?

Doesn't appear so.. can't say I've set it up myself, but a quick google
search on "raid 1 linux software" raises a few howtos... it appears that
the usual 'installation' procedure for RAID1 is to install your system
onto one hard drive first, and then go to raid from there.. (you need a
bootloader that groks raid tho)

Of course, RAID 1 just protects you from hardware failure, wheras
mirroring the disk periodically will protect you from "rm -rf /" etc..

--
Andrew Francis
locust at iinet.net.au