[plug] comparing files

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Sun Jun 17 12:07:29 WST 2001

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001, Jon  Miller wrote:

> I would like to know how to compare 2 files of the same name and take
> the difference and merge it into the newer file. I'm seen somewhere
> where it had to do with the diff command, but I'm not too sure about
> the merging of the differences.

Jon, is this the common case where you have a base file, and two modified
versions, whose changes you wish to merge? See merge(1).
  If you just have two files, and no common base, then its rather
difficult to decide what to do. You cant tell if a line has been added to
A, or deleted from B. Do you just want the superset of lines in each?

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--