[plug] Smoothwall was: Modem faster under Linux?

Mark Nold markn at enspace.com
Sun Jun 17 00:30:37 WST 2001

I'm no genius in the area but the concept behind the firewall is to keep it as
simple as possible, less software less vulnrabilities.

You will find that smoothwall is a bit hard to add software to as it doesnt
come with gcc, make, bison etc. Also since the upgrade path seems to consist of
blowing away your install putting effort into making heaps of software will
probably frustrate you.

I um'd and ah'd whether i go with Smoothwall or spend the time securing another
distro as a firewall and including a few of the goodies i wanted... at the end
of the day Smoothwall won out because my girlfriend wanted internet access
"now" :) And im glad i did as it's a great package, just very narrow in focus.

Mark Nold
markn at enspace.com
Senior Consultant

Change is inevitable, except from vending machines.