[plug] Linux backup programs

Simon Scott simon.scott at flexiplan.com
Mon Jun 18 14:48:33 WST 2001

	Beyond how to do it, does anyone have any statistics of hardware v
software raid on linux?

	Any 'gut feel' ideas of speed? I guess with mirroring on 2 channels
you would double your read speed???

	From:	Grahame Bowland <grahame at typhaon.ucs.uwa.edu.au> on
18-06-2001 02:45 PM
	Please respond to plug at plug.linux.org.au@SMTP at Exchange
	To:	plug at plug.linux.org.au@SMTP at Exchange
	cc:

	Subject:	Re: [plug] Linux backup programs

	On Friday 15 June 2001 23:28, Travis Read wrote:
	> Doesn't RAID 1 require me to re-format and re-install frig'n
	> everything from scratch?

	No. The easiest way to install a machine using RAID 1 is to
	do a normal install and then set up the RAID. The first time I did
it I
	followed the instructions at:
	  http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html
	and didn't have any trouble at all. I used Method 2 under section
4.13.

	Make sure you apply the latest RAID patch (the 0.9 series, not the
one in 2.2
	by default) and I'd stay away from software RAID under 2.4, judging
by the
	talk Neil Brown gave at linux.conf.au.

	Oh, and lilo in Debian 2.2 does seem to support booting from RAID
out of the
	box, just put the autodetect option into the kernel.

	Good luck,

	Grahame

	--
	Grahame Bowland, Network and Systems Administrator
	University Communications Services, The University of Western

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com