[plug] Redhat vs Debian-internet - gateway to dialup internet on modem

daniel at iinet.net.au daniel at iinet.net.au
Fri Jun 22 01:34:30 WST 2001

Hi Joel and the rest of PLUG - For a firewall for me 'just above beginner'
I have discounted both Debian and RH. The perfection of Debian's apt-get is
outweighed by my not knowing how to set up a firewall specific solution,
and the risk of my stuffing up.

I thought it best for me to go for an integrated firewall specific distro
such as:
Smoothwall, Immunix, Engarde, ClarkConnect,  Astaro (Kernel 2.4 gives the
added iptables, but it seems conservative solutions are staying away from
2.4 until it has more exposure) and
MandrakeSingleNetworkFirewall"SNF" (tried: Installed easily, but no
documentation found on site, so setup not complete)

Ideally for me - a solution with easy setup, documentation, ongoing
development, security updates, and an active and accessible user
base.  It's difficult to find all this stuff out.  So far MandrakeSNF might
be my choice if the lack of documentation can be overcome.  Any other ideas?
Regards,
Daniel.