[plug] RedHat vs Debian-internet - gateway to dialup internet on modem

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Fri Jun 22 13:06:56 WST 2001

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 11:44:14PM +0100, Michael Hunt wrote:
> create a nice firewall system. My only problem is that there doesn't appear
> to be any that are Debian based and I think that this is a shame given the
> huge developer community for detain and the short time they take to get
> fixes out.

Well, you can create a firewall with Debian just as easy as anything else.
All you need to do is work out what tools you can safely remove, and then
use nmap to determine what is listening. There is a new virtual package
that peolpe have been working on called "task-harden", which does a lot
of this for you: it will remove unnecessary packages and secure things
down a bit further. Regardless, still sue nmap to probe your firewall
(on TCP and UDP ports).

 James

7 days till we go to the 1st Debian Conference. Yippee! ;)

--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.rcpt.to/~james

       * *  C u in Bordeaux - 1st Debian Conference, July 2001 * *
 Remainder moved to http://www.rcpt.to/~james/james/sig.html