[plug] Red Hat Linux 7 security,etc. problems?

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Thu Mar 1 17:12:34 WST 2001

Hi Pete,

On Thu, 01 Mar 2001, Peter Wright wrote:
[snip]
> (a) some of the more well-known problems with RH7, both security and other,
> that hopefully I can use to persuade him it's just a bad option and he
> should use something else,

Does he need to stick with one *NIX OS?
If it's for the experience, I would recommend he install FreeBSD, Solaris and
Linux (pick a distro) - though not necessarily at the same time (even if it
would be fun!)

> (b) one or more URLs that explain how he can turn off services, upgrade
> known-buggy programs (and downgrade gcc to the stable version *sigh*), etc.
> to turn a default RH7 install into something that doesn't suck quite so much.

[snip]

For the experience, this is as good a starting point as any IMO:
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue55/stoddard.html

or have a look at something like
http://www.bastille-linux.org/
and follow the process through