[plug] Red Hat Linux 7 security,etc. problems?

Ari Finander spodosaurus at start.com.au
Thu Mar 1 19:18:00 WST 2001

http://www.redhat.com/apps/support/updates.html has the information
you're looking for.  I used it last night to find the names of the
programs I needed to update bind (I downloaded the programs from
www.aarnet.edu.au because the www.redhat.com download from the links
on their pages didn't work using netscape 4.75) which I successfully
did using rpm -Uvh <program> for the very first time!  :-)

Ari

Original message from: Peter Wright <pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au>

>Hello all,
>
>My brother lives over in one of those weird eastern states and is
currently
>in a position where he's being given a machine by his work to use at
home,
>and they're even paying for an ISDN line to be installed at his place
(nice
>work if you can get it, hey... :).
>
>As it's a general UNIX admin role, his colleagues are fairly
OS-agnostic
>and don't really give a rat's arse if he installs Win or Linux or
FreeBSD
>or Solaris/x86 or whatever on it. Unfortunately, being a relative
Linux
>newbie, he's been corrupted *ahem* advised to install RedHat Linux 7
on it
>and will be doing that unless I can lead him back to the light of the
one
>true distro. :-)
>
>Anyway - thanks to the recent conversations on plug between Leon and
>Christian and various other people that know more about security
issues
>than me (not that that's hard), alarm bells have started ringing in
my head
>at the idea of a relative Linux newbie doing a default install of
RedHat7
>and sticking it on a permanent ISDN link. Hrrmrmrmmmrmmmmm.
>
>What I'd like to know if anyone can help is either:
>
>(a) some of the more well-known problems with RH7, both security and
other,
>that hopefully I can use to persuade him it's just a bad option and
he
>should use something else,
>
>(b) one or more URLs that explain how he can turn off services,
upgrade
>known-buggy programs (and downgrade gcc to the stable version
*sigh*), etc.
>to turn a default RH7 install into something that doesn't suck quite
so much.

>I'd hoped Redhat's site might have (b)-related info or links, but
>apparently not. Or at least I can't find them.
>
>Let me know if anyone can help.
>
>Danke schön,
>
>Pete.
>--
>http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/
>
>--
>SOLDIER: What?  Ridden on a horse?
>ARTHUR:  Yes!
>SOLDIER: You're using coconuts!
>                 "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY)
PICTURES LTD