[plug] Red Hat Linux 7 security,etc. problems?

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Mar 2 12:20:39 WST 2001

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Michael Hunt wrote:

> > rh7 has kgcc (kernel gnu compiler) which is the previous stable version,
> > to compile kernels you have to hack the make files.
> >
> > netscape 4.76 as distributed is buggy (crashes if you try and use adress
> > book)
> >
> > 2.2.16 kernel as distributed doesn't work with vmware (get a warning
> > about the cd rom drive not working)
> >

> > having installed rh7 with hindsght I would have installed either rh6 or
> > another distro enirely
>
> Ok I think someone needs to step up here and defend redhat !!! *grin* I can
> understand where you are coming from security wise, but there is a fine line
> between stable/secure and latest/potetnially insecure and buggy. RedHat 7.0
> has tried to bring lots of goodies to its distro that has caused it to earn
> a buggy reputation, but what do you expect of a point zero release ???
> Security and stabilty only come when time has been commited to looking over
> the code and this never happens in the latest and greatest version. 7.1
> looks like going a long way to fixing the bugs and being aq good example of
> a bug fix release rather than an introduces a whole bunch of new software
> (and bigs) release.

Well has RedHat ever heard of a prerelease, to shake out all these
bugs? Or does it just not care that millions of people will install known
buggy software and probably never upgrade (RH 7.0)?

TRS-80
(confirmed debain zealot)

--
"There's nobody getting rich  |  TRS-80              UCC Fresher Rep
 writing software that I      |  Email:    trs80(a)ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au