[plug] off topic: How does one force IE to refresh a changed web page?

Colin Muller colin at durbanet.co.za
Thu Mar 15 08:58:53 WST 2001

billk at iinet.net.au wrote:
> Does anyone know how to force IE to read a changed web page.  I have a lot
[snip]
> I am going to add the "dont cache page" tag to each page (trivial when
> using scripts, just have to look it up ...),

Not as trivial as you'd like. Your best bet is manipulating the HTTP
headers. You should be able to use just one of the headers below, but
given the varying habits of Proxy servers and varying browser
implementations, and the varying times on computers' clocks, you'd be
advised to use them all (and then they still sometimes won't make a
difference). Since this is OT, I won't give details - as you said, you
can easily look them up.

Expires:
Cache-Control: s-maxage=
Cache-Control: max-age=