[plug] agp/pci interrupt problems

Simon Scott (SSC) simon.scott at flexiplan.com
Fri Mar 16 10:00:40 WST 2001

OK here's what happened :)

1) I disabled devices in the bios, I think the serial ports and USB.
2) I also set 'memory hole' at 15-16M, and set 'PCI Delay Transitions' to
disabled.

I then forcibly set the IRQs on the different lines to spare ones.

No go, devices still sharing IRQs.

I moved my net card from the bottom port (6?) up one. Now it has its own IRQ

I set the IRQ on line 1 (AGP and PCI 1) to 15 and rebooted

Everything works fine. No more slow-downs, stalls, or opengl crashes. I even
installed Quake 3 for linux and get a similar framerate to windows (I was
quite impressed) altho mouse movement doesnt feel as smooth.

As it turns out, the onboard sound and the scsi card are still sharing an
IRQ, but it seems 100% stable. If i really cared Id move the scsi card to
PCI #3, but I dont :)

Opengl hardware accel doesnt work without the agpgart module loaded, so I
put it in /etc/modules and no probs now.

As I said, I installed Quake 3. Initially it wouldnt boot because it couldnt
get the sound device (Im running arts sound server under KDE 2), so I ran it
with 'artsdsp quake3' and the game worked, but still no sound.... looking
thru the arts doco I found the option '-m emulate memory mapping (for
quake)' so 'artsdsp -m quake3' gave me quake 3 with sound. The delay on the
sound was unbearable so I reduced the latency (buffer settings in the sound
server setup under KDE2) and now it works 100%.

Ill try UT next, and try to apply the umods for Tac Ops etc... If that all
works I will have almost zero reason to boot into windows anymore.

Im still a little worried that my gfx card isnt getting an IRQ, but hey if
it works who cares.

I did a little happy-dance when quake 3 came up and I switched to 1024x768
and it still ran super-smooth :)