[plug] Sendmail Aliases

Damion Hill dhill at wantree.com.au
Sat Mar 17 09:50:43 WST 2001

On thursday night I managed to short the wrong jumper on my
running linux box and forced a shutdown (Doh!) now that it is back
up sendmail wont start because it can't read the aliases database.

I'm not sure why this would have suddenly stopped working, the
original files (/etc/aliases and /etc/aliases.db) had last modified
dates of August last year so AFAIK they haven't changed.

Sendmail fails to start with message in /var/log/mail.log -
NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): Cannot open hash database
/etc/aliases.db: Invalid argument.

I have tried newaliases to rebuild the hash but it says it can't open
either /etc/aliases or /etc/aliases.db. Both files are owned root.root
with perms 644

I have deleted /etc/aliases.db and rewritten /etc/aliases but still get
the same error. Sendmail version 8.9.3

Any ideas what I might have overlooked?

Cheers,
Damion.