[plug] Installing Debian

Simon Scott (SSC) simon.scott at flexiplan.com
Mon Mar 19 12:07:31 WST 2001

This touches on an interesting topic that maybe you should keep in mind.

When you have 2 or more different distros installed on one machine, you dont
need a distinct set of partitions for each.

For example, as you have found out you *need* to share a /boot partition
otherwise lilo coughs up.

You can also share swap partitions I believe, and obviously you would want
to share /home

Beyond that things would start to get hairy as the differences beween
distros would probably bite you on the ass with /usr, /var etc.

/etc would be a definite no no.

Just out of interests sake, obviously I would need read/write access to
/home and /var, but would it work if I mounted all the other partitions as
read only? Im thinking it would be a good idea to leave everything possible
read only unless installing new software, at which point you could remount
read/write.

This is also interesting from the perspective of running a thin-ish client
with the major partitions mounted via NFS. You would only really need /boot
and /var on the client I believe? Might be cool to try.

Anyone played with this sort of thing?