[plug] Modems & X

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Mar 21 12:47:55 WST 2001

"Campbell, David (Ex AS17)" wrote:

> I am trying to dial into an industrial site in Adelaide (eg: issolated from
> the internet, hence the modem) and an application at the other end requires
> X (and the connection is a blazing 21,000 bps :-()
>
> What applications that spring to mind that could compress the X bandwith
> across the modem (the remote end is a POSIX but non-Linux OS, the
> application is heavy on the Motif widgets if that is any help).

SSH as others have already suggested works, once you use the right settings.
Another one I've used in the past is xproxy/lbxproxy, which, as the name
implies, is an X Proxy. You set up bits either side of the Modem link, and
it'll transparently compress the X info. It was quite useable, even over a
28.8k modem, depending on what you're trying to do.

: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :