[plug] Installing Debian

The Thought Assassin assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Wed Mar 21 14:35:00 WST 2001

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Simon Scott (SSC) wrote:
> My server runs on debian, but personally Ive almost had enough of debian and
> dselect.

Most long-time Debian users have had enough of dselect. They use apt.
Most new Debian users have never touched it. They've only used apt.
If you've had enough of dselect, don't use it. Noone else does.

> Im confronted with 4 billion packages,

Choice is good.
Weak searching is bad.
Strong searching is good:
Use http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

> massive dependencies, and an interface that makes me barf....

Use apt.

> Invariably I install the wrong stuff (due to several packages being for
> 'PHP', but in reality they require 'PHP 3' which I dont want to install)

So check the dependencies before you install things.
They will explicitly state which version is required.

> Im thinking that RedHat 7 might be the go.

Forget it. RH7 does not have apt. :)

> ps. for those who are interested, yes, this email was written from a
> semi-devil's-advocate viewpoint to get the Debian lovers on list fired up :)

I don't think you'll find any Debian lovers here who use dselect, so I
doubt you'll manage to fire anyone up. Sorry.

> As I said, my server runs potato :)

As it should. :)

-Greg Mildenhall