[plug] Installing Debian

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Mar 21 16:44:06 WST 2001

The Thought Assassin wrote:

> Most long-time Debian users have had enough of dselect. They use apt.
> Most new Debian users have never touched it. They've only used apt.
> If you've had enough of dselect, don't use it. Noone else does.

I have a friend, not strong in UNIX Sysadmin skills, who on his home Linux
Gateway uses a 2.0 kernel and dselect. He seems afraid of upgrading to new
tools, and a new kernel, in case something stops working. He doesn't even use
dselect with apt as the source method. ^_^

That said, others have apt-ed on enough - Apt all the way!! (And isn't
console-apt available for Potato? I thought dselect went out with Slink...)

console-apt, though, is OLD NEWS! Heck, there were some things about it that
bugged me all the time, and the coolest feature was the Built-in Tetris while
downloading. ^_^

But now, it seems, it's being superceeded by "aptitude", which is even in
Stable now! It took me a while to grasp certain navigation conventions (ie; I
gave up & read the help), but it seems a step in the right direction. Anyone
else tried aptitude yet?

I still apt-get from the command line most things...

: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :