[plug] UNSUBSCRIBE

Simon Scott simon.scott at flexiplan.com
Fri Mar 23 13:58:16 WST 2001

	You guys need to bash this out on usenet
(alt.rediculous.academic.conversations.about.nothing)

	From:	Christian <christian at amnet.net.au> on 23-03-2001 01:56 PM
	Please respond to plug at plug.linux.org.au@SMTP at Exchange
	To:	plug at plug.linux.org.au@SMTP at Exchange
	cc:

	On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 02:01:53PM +0000, Mike wrote:

	> This is why its stupid - actually I'll put it another way - not
	> particularly clever. The result is obvious, retaliation leads
	> to escalation.

	I doubt it.  Hasn't so far anyway.

	> The smarter thing to do is to ignore it and leave it alone to the
	> list admin, pressing the delete button must entail less effort
	> for you then suggestion a negative course of action. The helpful
	> thing to do is to email the person directly with a polite
instruction.

	Yeah, but not everyone has infinite patience.  Some of us just get
sick
	of it all after a while.  Emailing the person has next to no effect
	since it just happens again a week later.  Perhaps this way people
might
	take some notice.

	> Mike
	> PS: BTW Police do punish others - in a police state and that is
the
	> sort of activity congruent with your approach.

	I didn't punish anyone!  The beauty of my method of retaliation is
that
	it is entirely democratic.  Three emails from a single individual
have
	no effect.  Six or nine from two or three are annoying.  1000 emails
	from a list full of peeved Linux users won't be forgotten in a
while.  I
	have no idea how many people did what I suggested and don't really
care
	but your police analogy is ludicrous.  There is absolutely no
	resemblance whatsoever to a police state.  A police state implies
power
	controlled by few.  My suggestion only worked when agreed with and
	followed by the majority.  As I said, entirely democratic and
nothing
	like a "police state".  BTW, Perth isn't a police state so my claim
that
	police don't punish anyone is still valid.

	--
	DSA 0x0EC1D28C: BBCB 0D79 4EBB 078A A066  7267 8BED E9D6 0EC1 D28C

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com