[plug] unsubscibe ATTN: LIST OWNER

The Thought Assassin assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Sun Mar 25 15:49:22 WST 2001

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Bernard Blackham wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Mar 2001 tlee at enternet.com.au wrote:
> > UNSUBSCIBE
> Can we really do something about this soon? Either get some manual
> filtering going,

How were you planning on filtering people who can't even spell
"unsubscribe", Bernard? :)

> or simply attach the line: "To unsubscribe <do this>"
> as a footer to every message? 100 bytes x what 300 users?... 30 kb.
> Think of the bandwidth it'd save in the bitching going on.

It's not per user, it's per post. Even if it prevented the problem, it
would waste more bandwidth than it saves. In reality, it doesn't even
solve the problem. I speak from experience of other lists that do this,
and I'm sure others here will be nodding their heads. If people aren't
going to read what you send them, it doesn't matter how or how often you
send it. *sigh*. I don't think this problem has an easy solution, short of
not letting people who won't read doco onto the list in the first place,
and that kind of defeats one of the major purposes of the list. (teaching
people how and where to look for appropriate doco, and how to use it)

-Greg Mildenhall