[plug] PHP compilation

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Sun Mar 25 22:42:00 WST 2001

On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 09:40:52PM +0800, Ryan wrote:
> Everything goes well, once finished the libphp4.so file required for
> apache is nowhere to be found, all I have that looks useful is:
>
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root      9487630 Mar 25 21:23 libphp4.a
>
> Can this be converted to a .so file for use with apache or can this .a
> file be used by apache through some means I am unaware?

Library files with names such as libsomething.a (static libraries) are only
useful for compile-time linking, whereas libsomething.so (shared libraries)
are intended for run-time linking.

If you were expecting to have a .so file generated, I suspect you made a
mistake in your php4 configuration - try going back to the php4 source tree
you built for and run ./configure --help  ... have a look at the output.

If you can see an option looking something like --enable-shared, do a "make
clean" and reconfigure like so:

# ./configure --enable-shared  [ and all your other configuration options ]

and then rebuild (ie. do another   make ; make install ).

> Thanks,
> Ryan

NB. This is the guesswork of someone who doesn't know php at all, working
on general principles. I may be barking up the wrong tree. Be warned. :)

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

39. You move into a new house and decide to Netscape before you landscape.