[plug] unsubscibe ATTN: LIST OWNER

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Sun Mar 25 23:25:07 WST 2001

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Bernard Blackham wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Mar 2001 tlee at enternet.com.au wrote:
> > UNSUBSCIBE
>
> Can we really do something about this soon? Either get some manual

Bernard,
I think you are on the wrong track here. The problem is that Linux is
getting too much press, and this list is attracting way too many
illiterate morons. If they cant even spell "unsubscibe", what hope is
there?
  I tell you, the solution is at the other end. Make it more difficult to
_subscribe_ in the first place. If the club website has a facility for
subscription, REMOVE IT NOW. When an email is sent asking to subscribe,
send a reply with hints.
   Anyone remember the newsgroup that required all posters to forge
moderator-approved headers? (alt.wizards???) Now thats a way to keep out
the riff-raff.
  OK, now all you Linux evangelists are going to rave on about attracting
newbies to further the Great Cause. But wouldnt your energies be better
directed if we weed out the hopeless cases first?
  So what we need is just a small challenge to join the list. Something
that demonstrates a bit of motivation and basic ability to follow
instructions. I humbly suggest we hold an informal competition.
   Maybe a short quiz, with answers easily found on the web? Nah, I'm sure
somebody can do better than that. Submissions?

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--