[plug] UNSUBSCRIBE

Colin Rothnie colinr at tiwest.com.au
Mon Mar 26 09:45:37 WST 2001

Dear List
I don't have strong feelings on this particular subject.  I already delete
most of my mail without reading it, so a few desperate escape attempts by
unfortunates trapped in the system hardly raises a blip on the radar.
However, I would like to point out that the Postgresql SQL mailing list
recently started attaching random FAQs to their list mail.  This has not
even raised a mutter from the list.  The fact that the TIPs are rotated
makes them somewhat less objectionable to recipients.  The messages are very
short. Here are their first six:

(send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo at postgresql.org)

subscribe-nomail command to majordomo at postgresql.org so that your

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

The "TIPS" are separated from the main message with the following line

I am sure that with a bit of imagination we could generate a really useful
set of FAQs/TIPs that would potentially educate people rather than infuriate
them.  (eg. umounting cdroms, starting & stopping services in different
distributions, stripping ^M from DOS text files ... all the things that get
asked again and again).  At the risk of inflaming even more debate, we could
even give guidance on quoting previous messages (e.g. TIP 3.  Only quote the
relevant portion of the message you are replying to).

I have used several of the Postgresql TIPs as a result of them being
"broadcast", so I think they are worthwhile.

With regard to implementing the scheme, I would delegate the task of
compiling the TIPs to a single person, put the resulting list into action
and let the list try to improve them afterwards.  I am sure the secret will
be to keep them to less than two lines if possible.

Cheers
Colin Rothnie
TIP 1.  Unsubscribe by sending "unsubscribe" in the subject or body to
plug-request at plug.linux.org.au