[plug] IPCHAINS

Stephen Lamont Stephen.Lamont at eddept.wa.edu.au
Mon Mar 26 14:42:03 WST 2001

Could anyone help me with a problem I have.
1. I have run a Linux server for over three years as a server. Recently I
had to upgrade to Redhat 7 and have rebuilt. Myold box had a port 6635 open
to which people could telnet into a root bash prompt. I have now rebuilt and
it wasn't an issue. But I am interested as I was running Redhat 6 with a ppp
connection squid, sendmail, etc. What is port 6635 and how did it get open.
2. Now I have rebuilt my server, I'm running squid, remote access, etc, but
I am dealing with IPCHAINS. I have read all the documention regarding the
set up from Redhat's site (Rusty Russell)and have written a set of rules
which I have placed in a file (chmod 700) in the /usr/sbin directory.
Firewall.config is the name of the rules file I wrote. I then wrote the line
in rc.local as:
. /usr/sbin/firewall.config
1.My problem is that I want to know if IPCHAINS is running?When I do a ps
aux |more the I cannot see the process. Does it have one?
2. I want to make my system secure so I can go out but not in -any web pages
(I have read just about everything I can find at Redhat)
3. I have the file /proc/net/ip_fwchains so it is loaded in the kernel.
4. Any advice on getting the thing going and knowing if it is working?
Regards
Steve Lamont