[plug] getting really small

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Tue Mar 27 17:41:40 WST 2001

Mike wrote:

>> Suppose it could operate at room temperature?  Suppose this new type of
>> transistor was "three magnitudes of order smaller than the gigabit
>> limit for MOS [metal oxide semiconductors]"?

At the risk of quoting Lynx (type yn if you don't believe me): Excellent!

That makes a standard RAM DIMM about as big as the largest available
single hard drive. If they're cheap and not too power-hungry, you can
have a Napster mirror in your pocket. You need never unload your digital
camera again, and videotapes will be the size of a stick of chewing gum.
``Have you got...'' ``Yes, of course!'' We'll even have enough RAM to
run Windows XP in! (*)

>> "We can make an atomic switch in a cluster of silver atoms.  The
>>  island [the area in the center of the transistor] is so small we
>>  are talking about a one-electron effect circuit."

I'll have some redundancy with that, thanks!

(*) M$ are now recommending 128MB for the OS alone! And 2GB of disk for
a minimal install!! Oh, and you need ``a new PC'' to get the full
eXPerience... hey... why not *just* buy the new PC, and run Linux on it?

--
How can you expect a computer to act sanely when you give it such
conflicting orders? You want it to work, and you want it to run