[plug] Database Recomendations

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Wed Mar 28 15:42:55 WST 2001

At the risk of increasing traffic x10.
I have a need for an SQL database.
Not relational, not journalled.
I would use a flat file format, and do it myself, but it's time
I started to use a grown-ups database and learn about them.
It must be small, and quick.
Only really needs to be able to create, update, drop and select
from tables, as I'm using it in a logger and need to generate
statistics with CGI.

I have been looking at MySQL, as freepascal already has bindings
to that, but I'm open to other suggestions as I can create my own
bindings from the C header files.

Small is the big priority. This is going on a slow 486 board with
not much ram (8-16mb) so small is good.
I also need to be able to access it over TCP/IP dialup.

Also looking at PHP. Anyone have any ideas as to how small you can get
a PHP interpreter installed size, and the smallest, quickest webserver
that will run with it.

I'm using CERN httpd at the moment, with home made binary CGI's, but
I'm looking at one of the ACME labs webservers as they are smaller and
quicker. Security is not a hassle here, as this will not be exposed to
the world, and has it's own ppp dialin for maintenance.

--
Brad....
                   /"\