[plug] Garage sale

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Mar 28 21:15:54 WST 2001

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 02:24:01AM -0000, senectus at emerge.net.au wrote:
> BTW Is SUSE anyu good, I hear a lot of mixed reactions from it... and
> being a RH Born and Bred person I'm a little hesatant to try somthing
> thats not RH based...

SUSE uses Redhat-style packages (RPM). Aside from that I don't think it's
based on any Redhat (as, for example, Mandrake originally was on RH 5.1).

 From what I've heard (never having used SUSE myself), it's much more
popular in Europe than in Australia or the US. My general impression is
that it's a very reliable, solid distro with a good track record
(security-wise, probably better than Redhat's - not that anything could be
much worse :) that's been around a long time.

Certainly worth a try if you like experimenting with different distros.
But of course if you're willing to consider trying a non-Redhattish distro,
you might as well go the whole hog and try Debian :).

Pete, Debian drone #28787384.

PS. Who me? Distro-biased? Never...
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

51. You put a pillow case over your laptop so your lover doesn't see it while
    you are pretending to catch your breath.