[plug] Memory tester

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Thu Mar 29 04:41:09 WST 2001

Beau Kuiper wrote:
> the best way to test memory I have found so far is a kernel compile. try
> the script in the linux source directory.
>
> while make bzImage; do make clean; done

I'll aggree to that. Iwas the one who originally posted with tregards to
some dodgy memory. The fatal kernel error was for me a sure sign of a
hardware problem though in my case it appears to be a faulty main board.

> if it crashes within 1-2 hours, you probably have a memory problem.
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 22:21, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> > Hi, I think there was a thread on testing memory a few weeks ago but I
> > cannot find anything in my old messages from plug so I appologise for
> > repeating the subject.  Can someone give the name of a (software
> > utility) tester that will exercise sdram on an ASUS board.  A relation
> > upgraded his machine after a motherboard failure and now its suffering
> > random, total lockups (windoZe of course) and I suspect maybe the old or
> > some newly fitted memory may be a cause - it was done by a local (to
> > him) store so I do not know the pedigree of what they fitted/changed.
> > Searching tucows turns up nothing helpful.

The UR:L i was pointed to was http://www.simmtester.com/ though a search
through the plug archives would have probably at cantech (URL link from plug
home page) would actually give you a direct link to the download page that
was kindly posted to me.

Thanks to our tirelss plug members (particularly Anthony I think) we who let
our mail go astray (or ghave our mailfiles corrupted) can always find our
words immortalized on the web !!!b We do appreciate the effort even though
sometimes we forget to search the archives !!!

Michael Hunt
West Africa.