[plug] Memory tester

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 29 21:57:59 WST 2001

I am going with this one
(http://reality.sgi.com/cbrady_denver/memtest86/) from Benjamin -
thanks.  It is simple and is easy to use - important as I will be
talking an unskilled teenager through the process over a telephone.  It
also has a windows install - the target machine is of course windoZe and
he will need to download and install it himself.  I created a (linux)
test disk here and so far, on a K6-2/200 on an asus TX97 and a Cyrix 233
on a no name board, nothing has showed up except that the K6 memory
(both machines have sdram) is much faster (subjectively as the cyrix
doesnt give a transfer speed, whilst the K6 does) running similar tests
(and the K6 has more memory too: 2x32M+1x16M, cyrix: 2x32M).  May have
to look into memory timimgs/wait states as the K6 machine is definitely
snappier than the cyrix under Linux.  I have no reason to believe that
either of these two machines has any faulty memory, but it doesnt hurt
to test ...

BillK