[plug] Free CD linux - any good ?

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Fri Mar 30 12:32:41 WST 2001

> 	In reality, 95% of what we do today on super-fast whizzbang machines
> (except for gaming) could be achieve on a 486 dos box (or non-X linux box).
> Email, WWW, WP etc Think about it, what do you do today that you couldnt do
> 5 or 6 years ago? As I said, except for super-3D games, not much I bet!

Well, I do admit programming is much easier on an athlon, when 10000 lines
of code only takes 10 seconds to compile, and changes take 1 second to
compile.

Also MP3's don't work particularly well on 486's. I don't think I can live
without them :-P. MP3 encoding is even worse.

Playing DVD's on a 486 is also really out of the question. Also MPEG4
movies (also known as DIVX) have only become a reality with P-II class
machines.

There are many things that we can do on really fast machine that we could
never dream of before. However, who ever said we needed a computer at all.

Cheers
Beau Kuiper
kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au