[plug] A drastic response to memory problems

John Breen wombat at wa.apana.org.au
Fri Mar 30 22:04:59 WST 2001

On Friday 30 March 2001 21:54, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> John, there's actually a "bug" in some win versions (never, I hear you
Hey, I'm a windows programmer - I think I've [robnably run up against most of
the bugs that m$ admit to, and half the ones they don't...

> say) that meant the faster AMD processors and some others would hang,
> usually during boot - was a timing problem which, of course, didnt
Yes, I'm aware of the timing problem, which is (by now) well documented.
> affect intel chips).  The fix was a utility that came on a floppy with
Interesting to note, that my oringinal CPU which id have problems, both with
Win95 and W98 was an Intel.  The K62-450 at work was the first AMD I've ever
seen with windows issues.

> the processors and was also available for download.  I think was
> anything above 350Mhz was a problem.
Ah, it was a combination of the bus speed and multiplier.  Mostly the
multiplier as I understand it....

--
Regards,

John Breen