[plug] browsers

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Sat Mar 31 12:47:06 WST 2001

> Does it run much better than Mozilla?  I haven't got Galeon to work as
> yet and I assumed that using mozilla for rendering it wouldn't be too
> much better so I haven't invested too much effort in it.  It really
> irritates me that Mozilla expects minimum of a 233 processor when my own
> browsing habits and the pages I reguarly visit haven't changed much at
> all since the days of using Netscape 3 on a 586.

My problem with Mozilla was that the XUL interface was *really* slow and
buggy.  On a high-end machine it would be nice but otherwise it becomes
quite irritating.  Galeon on the other hand uses a GNOME interface and
it runs *much* faster.  I find the actual Mozilla rendering engine
(gecko) really fast -- much faster than Netscape.  For example "Edit
bookmarks" on all versions of Netscape/Mozilla are painfully slow for me
but on Galeon it very fast.

The other really cool feature of Galeon is its tabbed browsing.  The way
I surf involves finding links and opening new windows for reading later
while continuing to browse the current page.  Instead of cluttering
your desktop with lots of new windows, Galeon just creates new tabs that
even show you when the page has finished loading.  The cookie manager is
also really good.

--
DSA 0x0EC1D28C: BBCB 0D79 4EBB 078A A066  7267 8BED E9D6 0EC1 D28C