[plug] IBM netfinity/pnp/stallion ec8/64 woes

Garth Atkinson garth at cclinic.com.au
Sat Mar 31 19:24:26 WST 2001

Hi Pluggers

Anyone out there had the joy of installing an ISA EC8/64 Stallion in
an IBM Netfinity 5000?

It appears that the on-board Adaptec AIC-7895 Ultra SCSI host
adapter wont use any other address than 0xCC000, even when that
memory is reserved for use by a "ISA legacy resource". This address
is the "recommended" one by Stallion in their online examples. I did
some quick and dirty searching of the internet expecting to see this
problem being reported somewhere but I didn't find even one
reference to it, meaning I might be very confused about the real
nature of this problem.

I haven't checked the Adaptec controller's BIOS to see if I can
change the card's memory address requirements but I am assuming the
Plug and Play logic would take care of this address.....

I would love to be proven right in my assessment that the plug and
play logic of the Adaptec 7895 controller is screwed. I really hate
plug and play and this would be another example for me to use when
telling people how bad pnp really is!

The OS was linux.

Garth
ps - I solved the problem by specified a new memory address when