[plug] Studio PCTV Capture Card Success - RE-POSTED

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Tue May 1 17:37:14 WST 2001

List,

Kudos, thanks and a free lunch to Brad Campbell for his meteoric assistance
with what turned out to be a simple kernel options permutations trick. For
those who may wish to benefit from my two weeks of web-searching, two days of
hair pulling, and Brad's two second fix, I include details below:

This should work for any 2.4.x series kernel (RH 2.4.2 and vanilla 2.4.4 both
worked for me)

You need:

- Any BT848 chipset compatible TV/capture card (in my case Pinnacle Studio
PCTV)
- A copy of kernel 2.4.x source (distro CD or http://www.kernel.org/)
- A copy of  bttv 0.7.x stable release from
http://www.strusel007.de/linux/bttv (for the bttv driver documentation)
- A copy of xawtv from http://www.strusel007.de/linux/xawtv/

### Step One - Configure, compile and install the kernel, install modules:
(I'll describe the kernel config and leave the compile and installs to you)

- In "Loadable Module Support", turn "Set version on all module symbols" OFF
- In "Character Devices" under "I2C Support" select "module" support for:
 - I2C Support
 - I2C bit-banging interfaces
 - I2C device interface
- In "Multimedia devices" select "built-in" support for "Video For Linux" then
under "Video For Linux" select "built-in" support for "V4L information in proc
file system" and under "Video Adapters" heading, select "module" support for
"BT848 Video For Linux" (NB. if this last option is not visible, you forgot to
select I2C bit-banging interfaces - this was where I came adrift)

### Step Two - set some bttv module options:

Have a read of the bttv driver doco to determine your card type (CARD 39 in the
case of Studio PCTV) and other parameters. Append the suggested modules.conf
settings to /etc/modules.conf and edit the settings to suit your card. In my
case, all I needed to change was "options bttv        card=39"
(BTW Brad, we had colour all along - just needed a more colourful subject!)

### Step Three - Install and configure xawtv

### Step Four - Reboot into the new kernel, start whatever component of the
xawtv suite you're interested in (TV, webcam etc) and (hopefully) admire the
results.

Regards,
Steve