[plug] Weird FD0 problem...

Ryan ryan at slowest.net
Wed May 2 08:09:00 WST 2001

At 09:34 AM 5/2/01 +0800, you wrote:
>At 09:31 2/05/01 +0800, you wrote:
>>I would say 70% of the labs in the computing school are redhat boxes !
>>Don't know about the rest of the schools but I'm sure there is at least
>>another lab with Linux from some other faculty / school.
>>
>>-Jeff-
>
>I am in the business school. I'll try to find out, what they are running
>as servers.

The business school runs entirely on Windows NT/Novell.  They do have one
lab of xterms
which connect to ISIS, a very old dual processor SunOS SparcServer which is
housed over
in the computing centre as far as I know, unfortunately you have to be
doing a particular
unit to get an account on it for the semester, or be a tutor for one of the
units like I was :P
It is used for Oracle database work, Perl, C/C++, Java etc.

Interestingly - last year there was only one person who either knew how to
administer that server
or had access to do so.  During assignment time lots of people would log in
and not gracefully log
out, either through running a bad program of just being lazy.  The night
before one of the
assignments was due every pts port was tied up and nobody could log in, the
person who cleaned
all the old processors out was away, so not many people got that assignment
finished :)

There is also a Lab running FreeBSD used for system admin and CGI
programming courses.

ITSSA (Information Technology and Systems Student Association) have quite a
few
machines running FreeBSD in the business school.  You'll have problems with
those too,
last time I heard the floppy drives were kept to root permissions :)

Ryan