[plug] M$ in schools

Sol Hanna sol at eftel.com.au
Wed May 2 12:20:34 WST 2001

Subsequent to the recent discussions on M$ in schools and TAFEs I've done a
little snooping. For those who are interested I've listed some links below
which outline the contract between the State Government and M$.

http://www.eddept.wa.edu.au/ltcontracts/ltc_microsoft_documents.htm

(!!!especially  the Jun-99 Q&A .pdf  question 4 - If I am reading this correctly
it states that the price paid by the government to M$ per workstation for all
software licences and maintenance is $913. This seems exorbitant even by M$
standards, I must be reading this incorrectly.)

http://www.eddept.wa.edu.au/ltcontracts/ltc_microsoft.htm

http://www.eddept.wa.edu.au/ltcontracts/ltc_microsoft_workstations.htm

Interestingly, nowhere does it state how much money the education department
actually paid to M$ in total.

 The education minister Alan Carpenter recently announced a sweeping
review of state schools organisation, etcetera. I intend preparing a brief
submission pointing out how the State Government is getting ripped off by M$.
If anyone comes across any useful information regarding the advantages of Linux
vs M$ on the basis of cost, licence arrangements, educational benefits, etc, I
would appreciate it if you shared it with me.

Ta.

sol