[plug] re opening linuxconf

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Fri May 4 14:35:57 WST 2001

On Friday 04 May 2001 09:58, Christian wrote:
> On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 08:37:34PM +0800, Beau Kuiper wrote:
> > BTW, I don't like the SysV model (the one your computer uses) because it
> > is too complicated and attempts to abstract routines that don't really
> > need it.
>
> It's not really that complicated at all.  And its modular design makes
> it much easier to manage automated upgrades.  Apart from the BSDs and
> maybe Slackware, I don't think there are any modern Unix systems that
> use the old BSD init scripts.

Until distributions decide to get their hands onto the scripts, where they
install dozens of the buggers and send the tendrals of the scripts all over
the filesystem.

And I absolutely hate it when programs attempt to auto install the stupid
SysV scripts on my slackware system. I find it highly offensive that a
program decides it should be automaticly started whenever I turn the computer
on. I would rather decide on that myself.

Anyway, I love my slackware and its very simple BSD scripts.

Beau Kuiper
kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au